The objective: write a minimum 25,000-word novella or novel in the SG-1 universe. Your story can have: any plot and any (or no) pairing; be gen, het, slash, OT3, OT4, it doesn't matter. After you complete a rough draft, you'll be matched with an artist, vidder, or fanmixer who will take your story and produce art for it.
End result: a whole summer of long, plotty Stargate fic and gorgeous art and vids and fanmixes to wallow in!
Rules and Information
- Stories should be 25,000 words minimum.
- There are no restrictions on content, pairing, etc. You can write anything you'd like to write, as long as it is primarily an SG-1 story. (AUs and crossovers with other shows, including SGA and SGU, are permissible as long as the primary focus is on SG-1 characters, settings, plot bits, etc.)
- You can use something you've already started, as long as:
a) it hasn't yet been publicly posted anywhere in its entirety, and
b) it meets the other qualifications.
- Stories must be beta-read before final submission. If you need a beta, please use sg1betas. The community has been notified that we'll be heading their way and are prepared to have beta readers on hand to assist you.
- When cheerleaders have volunteered, you may find someone to cheer you on or request to be paired with someone. A cheerleader is someone who isn't participating in the challenge, but who will work with you to make sure you can keep your momentum going.
- You may sign up as individuals or as a team if you would like to collaborate with another person.
- All authors and co-author teams must join and watch the moderated stargate_summer for important announcements, and can join the unmoderated sos_lounge for bitching, kvetching, screaming, and moral support. You'll receive invitations to both once you've signed up.
Author signup will begin Jan 15, and continue until the rough draft due date on April 30. You may sign up early and get to work, or work first and sign up when you know you can commit. You haven't locked into the SG-1 Big Bang until you submit your rough draft on April 30.
- A rough draft of your story—completed, but unpolished—and summary must be submitted to the challenge organizers by email no later than April 30. This is the draft that will be given to the artist matched up with you. (More information about submitting your rough draft will be released in March.)
- A final version of your story is due to the community based on posting dates which will be selected and assigned in May. The earliest posting date is June 13, the latest posting date is the end of August.
- Extensions will be granted to the author-artist team as needed and upon request but will be monitored. More information about extensions will be released in April.
For artists and vidders and fanmixers:
- For the story you choose: artists will be signing up to produce at least 3 pieces of art, vidders will be signing up to produce at least 1 video, and fanmixers will be signing up to produce an at least 6-song fanmix.
- Art can be of any sort: hand-drawn, painted, Photoshop, manip, photography, physical media such as sculptures, knitting, etc.—any kind of visual media. Videos can be music videos, a “trailer” for the fanfic, handpuppet theater—anything you’d like that will be put in a video format. Fanmixes can be any genre of music, any length.
You will need to host your own work, so please abide by any websites’ rules regarding copyright laws so your work does not violate their TOS.
- You may sign up as individuals, or as a team if you would like to collaborate with another person.
- All artists/vidders/fanmixers and art/vid/fanmix teams must join and watch the moderated stargate_summer for important announcements, and can join the unmoderated sos_lounge for bitching, kvetching, screaming, and moral support. You'll receive invitations to both once you've signed up.
Signups for artists, vidders, and fanmixers will begin January 15 and continue through May 10. On May 1, summaries of the stories will go live. At that time, artists, vidders, and fanmixers claim summaries to create art/vid/fanmix for that specific story. You are not locked into the SG-1 Big Bang until you claim a story.
- More information about the claiming process will be available in late April, but for now know that an artist, vidder, or fanmixer may claim more than one story in a second (or maybe even third) round of claiming.
- You will be given your author's rough draft after claiming ends, hopefully on or around May 11. You will have until your posting date (the earliest of which is June 13) to complete your artwork/vid/fanmix.
- Extensions will be granted to the author-artist/vidder/fanmixer team as needed and upon request but will be monitored. More information about extensions will be released in April.
You'll be signing up to partner with a writer who's indicated he or she needs encouragement to finish his or her story. You are signing up to say encouraging things about the story, point out awesome things in the text, help brainstorm, etc. You will not be expected to beta-edit the story, unless you and your author work out a mutual agreement—your role is to grab the pompoms and cheer along to help keep your author's spirits and enthusiasm high.
- When signing up, you'll specify what kind of contact method is best for you -- AIM, email, LJ Talk, Google Chat, irc, etc. You'll also be asked to list the kind of things you're interested in reading or not reading. More information will be available in the sign-up post.
- Once you've dropped your name in the proverbial bucket, writers will reply to your comment, asking if you are available to work with them. The moderators will be monitoring what cheerleaders have not been approached by a writer and will match up unmatched writers and cheerleaders as needed.
- You can volunteer to cheerlead for more than one novel, if you feel that you can provide attention to more than one!
- All cheerleaders must join and watch the moderated stargate_summer for important announcements, and can join the unmoderated sos_lounge for bitching, kvetching, screaming, and moral support. You'll receive invitations to both once you've signed up.
January 15: Signups begin and continue until April 30 (for writers/cheerleaders), until May 10 (for artists/vidders/fanmixers).
April 30: Rough draft of stories and story summaries due to moderators.
May 3: Summaries are posted for artist/vid/fanmix claiming. Claiming continues through May 10 or until all stories are claimed. (A second round of claiming may be opened if there are additional artists/vidders/fanmixers or artists/vidders/fanmixers willing to work on more than one story.)
May 11: Rough drafts are sent to artists/vidders/fanmixers.
June 13: Final stories/art/vids/fanmixes for June posting are due to moderators.
June 14: First story goes live.
June 27: Final stories/art/vids/fanmixes for July posting are due to moderators.
August 1: Final stories/art/vids/fanmixes for August posting are due to moderators.
We hope to have all stories posted no later than August 31.
Comment here, or ask theemdash or melayneseahawk your challenge-runners and overall crazy people. Additional moderation assistance will be provided by irinamarenco.
to kick off the 2010 SG-1 Big Bang.